About Me

Ithaca, New York
MWF, now officially 42, loves long walks on the beach and laughing with friends ... oh, wait. By day, I'm a mid-level university administrator reluctant to be more specific on a public forum. Nights and weekends, though, I'm a homebody with strong nerdist leanings. I'm never happier than when I'm chatting around the fire, playing board games, cooking up some pasta, and/or road-tripping with my family and friends. I studied psychology and then labor economics in school, and I work in higher education. From time to time I get smug, obsessive, or just plain boring about some combination of these topics, especially when inequality, parenting, or consumer culture are involved. You have been warned.

Monday, January 18, 2010

No Impact Man

I think this one wins the "longest title yet" prize, and of course, is yet another addition to a growing list of books that aren't the classics. Oh well.

Also read No Impact Man: The Adventures of a Guilty Liberal Who Attempts to Save the Planet and the Discoveries He Makes About Himself and Our Way of Life in the Process, by Colin Beavan (New York: Farrar, Straus, & Giroux, 2009). For those of you who somehow missed all the press, check Beavan's blog or this review. Liked this one more than I thought I would, probably because I was prepared for Beavan to come off as far more arrogant and self-righteous than he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment