About Me

Ithaca, New York
MWF, now officially 42, loves long walks on the beach and laughing with friends ... oh, wait. By day, I'm a mid-level university administrator reluctant to be more specific on a public forum. Nights and weekends, though, I'm a homebody with strong nerdist leanings. I'm never happier than when I'm chatting around the fire, playing board games, cooking up some pasta, and/or road-tripping with my family and friends. I studied psychology and then labor economics in school, and I work in higher education. From time to time I get smug, obsessive, or just plain boring about some combination of these topics, especially when inequality, parenting, or consumer culture are involved. You have been warned.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

#11 - Waveland


This one was not so impressive. Somewhere, somehow -- maybe just on the dust jacket -- I read something that intrigued me, but in the end, I was underwhelmed. Frederick Barthelme's Waveland (Doubleday, 2009). The one-line blurb in the search results when I google "waveland book review" says the novel, "set in post-Katrina Mississippi, concerns a man, his girlfriend, his ex-wife, her lover and lots of TV," and, well, that's about what I came away with, too. The Times reviewer seemed to like it well enough, but it left me cold. Yes, the characters were marginal, pathetic, scraping by the best they knew how ... but I just couldn't bring myself to care that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment