About Me

Ithaca, New York
MWF, now officially 42, loves long walks on the beach and laughing with friends ... oh, wait. By day, I'm a mid-level university administrator reluctant to be more specific on a public forum. Nights and weekends, though, I'm a homebody with strong nerdist leanings. I'm never happier than when I'm chatting around the fire, playing board games, cooking up some pasta, and/or road-tripping with my family and friends. I studied psychology and then labor economics in school, and I work in higher education. From time to time I get smug, obsessive, or just plain boring about some combination of these topics, especially when inequality, parenting, or consumer culture are involved. You have been warned.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Cheap

Yes, I'm back. It's not that I haven't been reading lately (though I have been reading a bit less), but I've been busy doing and, more than that, getting used to the rhythm of my new job, and, well ... blogging has sorta fallen off the radar.

Sooo, this will be a few quick posts to bring the blog up to speed with what I'm reading now. Cheap: The High Cost of Discount Culture, by Ellen Ruppel Shell (Penguin Press, 2009) was awesome. I'm frankly surprised this book hasn't gotten more publicity than it has; for me, it was akin to The Omnivore's Dilemma for the retail shopping sector. More details can be found in the New York Times review here.

No comments:

Post a Comment