About Me

Ithaca, New York
MWF, now officially 42, loves long walks on the beach and laughing with friends ... oh, wait. By day, I'm a mid-level university administrator reluctant to be more specific on a public forum. Nights and weekends, though, I'm a homebody with strong nerdist leanings. I'm never happier than when I'm chatting around the fire, playing board games, cooking up some pasta, and/or road-tripping with my family and friends. I studied psychology and then labor economics in school, and I work in higher education. From time to time I get smug, obsessive, or just plain boring about some combination of these topics, especially when inequality, parenting, or consumer culture are involved. You have been warned.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

#83 - My Little Red Book

Also read My Little Red Book (Twelve, 2009) Monday, just before it was due back. Felt like I was a bit behind the curve on this one; a dear friend gave it as a gift to her daughter on the occasion of the daughter's first period, and heck, even Littlehazel devoured it before I'd even cracked the cover open.

The book, edited by Rachel Kauder Nalebuff, is an anthology of stories about girls'/ women's first periods. It's both a quick read and a fascinating one. The settings range from 1919 to WWII Europe to a contemporary text message, and the contributors include such well-known authors as Meg Cabot, Megan McCafferty, Tamora Pierce, and Gloria Steinem (who revised her famous "If Men Could Menstruate" essay for the occasion). Simply put, a must read for anyone with strong feelings about this occasion in their own lives (whether it's decades past or still somewhere ahead of you) or strong feelings for a young woman they're close to.

No comments:

Post a Comment