About Me

Ithaca, New York
MWF, now officially 42, loves long walks on the beach and laughing with friends ... oh, wait. By day, I'm a mid-level university administrator reluctant to be more specific on a public forum. Nights and weekends, though, I'm a homebody with strong nerdist leanings. I'm never happier than when I'm chatting around the fire, playing board games, cooking up some pasta, and/or road-tripping with my family and friends. I studied psychology and then labor economics in school, and I work in higher education. From time to time I get smug, obsessive, or just plain boring about some combination of these topics, especially when inequality, parenting, or consumer culture are involved. You have been warned.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

#84 - I See You Everywhere

Oops. Gave this one to Sisterhazel as a gift a year or so ago, based on the jacket flap alone (story of two sisters who live different lives and have their issues, but nonetheless share a strong bond, yadda yadda), without realizing how it ends. Ulp. Remind me not to do that again.

Julia Glass' I See You Everywhere (Pantheon, 2008) is the story of Louisa and Clem (Clement) Jardine. Louisa, four years older, has always half-envied, half-resented Clem's adventurous, peripatetic life, never quite understanding that Clem has her own demons to grapple with. The story jumps around from one time period to another, which was a bit confusing for me, and is told alternately from the two sisters' points of view. We see Clem's summer adventure with their 99 year old maiden Aunt Lucy in Vermont, Louisa's discovery (she's an art editor) of promising young artist Roberto, Louisa's misdirected attempt to seduce Clem's (gay) best friend, ecologist Clem's quest to save an ailing young bear cub in Montana, and Louisa's battles with her marriage and then breast cancer. Again, I don't want to spoil it for you and this isn't so much a book about plot as a story about a relationship, but it's worth a read -- even if I'm still not sure about that ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment